How To Self-Term from the DCP Program

Castle

Over 99% of CPs that start their DCP program finish it on their scheduled departure date.  But, for the other 1%…

There are three main reasons that cast members ‘self term’ – short for self terminate – i.e., leave the DCP program before their scheduled departure date.

  1. Family Emergency. Generally, this means that a close family member is very ill or has died while the CP is at the program.  Managers are very understanding about this and the good news is that CPs leaving for this reason are likely to be selected again for another DCP program if they chose to apply again.*
  2. Personal Illness or Injury. During every program, a few CPs will get sick (i.e., appendicitis), or will find out that they can’t handle the Florida heat and humidity, or will injury themselves in some way (sprained ankles, back problems, knee problems, cuts), or will be in car accidents (Florida drivers are the worst!).  Again, CPs leaving for this reason can apply again to a later program*.
  3. The ‘Not Happy’ reason. These are the CPs that are miserable doing the DCP and just want to go home.  They don’t like their roommates, they don’t like their job assignment, they miss their boyfriend/girlfriend, or they fail to see the magic that is Disney.  They are miserable.  These CPs will never work for Disney again and in fact may never visit any Disney park or resort again in their life.  Doing the DCP program was the worst mistake of their life.

*If you self term, you will be placed on Restricted Rehire status for at least 6 months after you leave your program.

 

CP Moment On Your Own (2)

For some CPs, especially the younger 18 and 19 year olds, the DCP program is just too much.  They stress out about everything and are miserable.

It’s easy to self term from the DCP program – no need for drama!

Step 1:  Notify your manager that you are self terming, either immediately or on a certain date.  You can also go to the Service Center at Vista Way and talk to the coordinator there to start the self term process.

Step 2: Turn in ALL your costume pieces. They do not have to be returned to your costume location, you can return them to any costume location.

Step 3: Be packed and out of your apartment by 11am the next day.

Step 4:  Turn your keys and Housing ID into Security on your way out.  If you chose to keep your Blue ID, do not lose it!  If you ever work for Disney again, you’ll need it or you’ll be charged a replacement fee (currently $35).

Step 5: You must pay the whole week’s rent. It will be taken out of your final paycheck.  Housing will contact by phone you if there is a balance due. Exception:  If you leave by 11am on Sunday morning, you won’t be charged for the week.

That’s all it takes!

It’s easy to self term from the DCP, but we don’t recommend it!

One Final Note:

Although it’s covered during Traditions, many CPs don’t pay attention to the Points and Reprimands lecture.  It’s also in your DCP Program Guide.

While it’s no fun self terming, it’s definitely worse being terminated by Disney for poor job performance!

To explain it in more detail, we’ve written a whole blog about it:  Disney Attendance Policy and Points Explained!

EAP

And, don’t forget about Disney’s EAP program.  It’s free for cast members and they can help with a lot of problems.  Having roommate issues?  Contact Disney Housing!  We found them to be very helpful!!!

***************************************

working together at DAK

Working together at DAK.  Between us, we’ve done 5 DCP programs now.

Two Girls and a Mouse Tale

   by Elly Collins & Caroline Collins

Ever wonder what it’s like to work for Disney???

We worked at WDW for a year in the Disney College Program and have written a book about what it’s like to be a cast member working for Disney.

We’ve included advice on how to successfully get into the DCP program, including some of the actual phone interview questions, how to have a successful internship, and how not self-term before your program ends. Our book is filled with lots of behind-the-scene stories of the magic of Disney. Available now at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle formats. Published by Theme Park Press.

Book link on Amazon.com:  Two Girls and a Mouse Tale

***

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s