Note: Last updated by Disney World on October 16, 2016
There’s nothing more frustrating than going all the way to Disney World for a long-planned vacation and finding out that your favorite ride or attraction is closed for refurbishment – or has permanently closed!
Disney tries to schedule most of the serious refurbishments for popular attractions during the slow, winter months. But, sometimes refurbishments and closures for repairs do get scheduled during the summer and fall months.Magic Kingdom
- Big Thunder Mountain closed 8/8/2016- 11/18/2016
- Liberty Square Riverboat closed 1/3/2017- 1/12/2017
- Magic Kingdom Railroad closed 1/9/2017- 2/16/2017
- Hall of Presidents closed 1/17/2017- 6/29/2017
- Stitch’s Great Escape is now a seasonal attraction 10/2/2016
- Haunted Mansion closed 11/28/2016- 12/1/2016
- Swiss Family Treehouse closed until 10/25/16
- Splash Mountain closed 12/7/2016
- Infrastructure Work in park: 9/28/2016- 12/17/2016
- Habit Heroes in Innoventions West closed 1/18/2016
- Captain EO – closed 12/6/15
- Off Kilter- final performance 9/27/2014
- Mo’Rockin- final performance 9/27/2014
- World Showcase Players- final performance 9/25/2014
- Spirit of America Fife & Drum Corps- final performance 9/27/2014
- Maelstrom- closed 10/6/2014
- The Spirit of Norway- closed 10/6/2014
- Test the Limits Lab- closed permanently 1/6/2015
- My Magic+ Service Center located inside Innoventions East is now closed. You can visit Guest Relations in Future World or any of the FastPass kiosks.
- Sum of All Thrills and StormStruck have closed permanently 9/15/2016
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Look for the brand new Rivers of Light finally opening this month.
Permanently closed attractions:
- Wild by Design Tour- last tour was 9/26/2014. This was discontinued.
- Tip Board permanently closed
- Sunrise Safari Tour- last tour was 12/28/2014. This was discontinued.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Many attractions have permanently closed due to Star Ward Land and Toy Story Land construction which will continue into 2017.
- Pizza Planet closed 1/11/2016- Late 2016
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster closed 10/27/16- 11/9/2016
Permanently closed rides and attractions:
- American Idol Experience closed. Last day was 8/30/2014.
- Backlot Tour closed permanently 9/27/2014
- American Film Institute Showcase at the end of the Backlot Tour closed permanently 8/17/2014.
- Legend of Jack Sparrow closed
- Phineas & Ferb Meet and Greet- closed permanently 1/5/2016
- Lightning McQueen & Mater Meet and Greet- closed permanently 1/5/2016
- Joffrey’s coffee kiosk closed 1/4/2016
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show closed permanently 04/03/16
- Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure closed permanently 04/03/16
- Meet and Greet: Mike and Sulley at Street of America closed permanently 04/03/16
- Prop Shop- closed permanently 04/03/16
- Studio Catering Co. closed permanently 04/03/16
- Watto’s Grotto closed permanently 04/03/16
- High Octane Refreshments closed permanently 04/03/16
- New York News closed permanently 04/03/16
- Youse Guys Moychindise closed permanently 04/03/16
- Blizzard Beach – closed 10/16/2016- 12/24/2016
- Typhoon Lagoon- closed 12/25/2016- 3/11/2017 Shark Reef has closed permanently
Two Girls and a Mouse Tale
by Elly Collins & Caroline Collins
Ever wonder what it’s like to work for Disney???
We worked at WDW for a year in the Disney College Program and have written a book about what it’s like to be a cast member working for Disney.
We’ve included advice on how to successfully get into the DCP program, including some of the actual phone interview questions, how to have a successful internship, and how not self-term before your program ends. Our book is filled with lots of behind-the-scene stories of the magic of Disney. Available now at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle formats. Published by Theme Park Press.
Book link on Amazon.com: Two Girls and a Mouse Tale